THE 10TH WBUAP ONKYO WORLD BRAILLE ESSAY CONTEST (2012)
The Onkyo Corporation Ltd., The Braille Mainichi and the World Blind Union-Asia Pacific (WBUAP) have much pleasure in announcing the start of the 10th WBUAP Onkyo World Braille Essay Contest for blind and vision-impaired (BVI) persons in the Asia Pacific Region. We are inviting entries from all Member-Countries and shall be most grateful if you will kindly give us your co-operation by making this Contest known to BVI persons in your country. One of the main aims of this Contest is to promote Braille literacy. Please find the Rules as attached.
Please give us your support by taking the following actions to ensure its smooth implementation and success:
1. Set up The National Onkyo Selection Committee (NOSC) comprising between three to five members according to your discretion. Kindly inform the Secretary General by the end of February whether your country is willing to set up the NOSC so that we may make other arrangements.
2. The responsibilities of the NOSC are:
2.1. Encourage participation and to receive local entries on or before the closing date of 30 April 2012.
2.2. Select the best five entries from either of the two age groups or be divided between them. Group A are for persons between the ages of 14 to 25 years, and Group B are for persons from 26 years and above. This means each country may only send a maximum of five best entries from the two groups combined. For example, you may choose to send all the five entries from Group A or all the five entries from Group B, or the combination of entries from the two groups.
2.3. Translate the best five entries into English (if they are written in your native language) and email them to the WBUAP Secretary General on or before 15 June 2012. Any entry received after this date will not be considered.
IMPORTANT: Each entry when translated into English should be between 750 and 1,000 words in length. In the past, there were some excellent entries but they were either too short or too lengthy.
3. In determining the best five entries, you should first give consideration to the story line closest to the topics. Secondly, the impact and reality of the experiences. And thirdly, the accuracy and neatness in using Braille. If the entries are submitted to the NOSC through the electronic format, you may request the writers to send you a page or two of their works written with the slate or brailler to show their Braille skill. This is entirely left to your discretion as you are the best persons to know the situation in your country. Please note that when the entries are sent to the WBUAP Onkyo Selection Committee (WOSC), consideration will only be given to the first two points as mentioned.
4. Each NOSC should submit a short report on the composition of the team and its work to the WOSC.
5. Each NOSC will receive USD 200.00 reimbursement for members attending meetings and for expenses incurred for undertaking the duties mentioned above. The money will be sent to the participating countries by the Administrative Office after the results have been announced at the beginning of November 2012.
6. The WOSC will meet in July to select the seven best entries. Therefore, the best five entries from each country should be emailed to reach the Secretary General of WBUAP on or before the closing date of 15 June 2012. Email your best five entries to email@example.com with electronic photos of the writers.
7. The names of the seven Prize Winners will be announced at the beginning of November 2012 and will be uploaded onto the WBUAP Website: http://wbuap.org/ The cash prizes and trophies will be sent to the NOSC’s for presentation to the respective Winners.
Do not hesitate to contact the Under-signed should you need more information.
Thank you for your kind co-operation.
With best wishes,
(Ivan Ho Tuck Choy),
Secretary General, WBUAP.
C/o National Council for the Blind, Malaysia,
94B Jalan Tun Sambanthan,
50470 Kuala Lumpur,
Tel. (direct) 603-2273-9471; Mobile: 6013-340-8816.
Please click the link below to download the terms and conditions.